January 20, 2016

My baby won't talk to me

Well, my son is almost 9 months old, so obviously he can't really talk to me just yet. He makes noises and speaks plenty of gibberish: sometimes it even sounds like "Dada". Wishfully, every time I hear anything remotely close to "Dada" I respond to him as if he were talking to me. Lately, I'm finding myself wishing more and more that he could just talk. When I hold him or play with him, I get smiles, giggles, kisses, and don't forget the gibberish. He makes me crack up sometimes when he just screams for no reason. He likes to scratch things and he is fascinated with my clavicle for some reason. He is learning so much and I know his brain is just soaking in everything. Is talking too much to ask for!? Clearly, I'm joking. But I want to have a better idea of what is going on his head. And what will he like as he enters his toddler years?
Will he eventually like Star Wars?! It's a fair question, right? 
My daughters do and it's just one of the many things we bond over. I want to know what he wants to do in the evenings when I get home from work (even if it's just to play with my water bottle or chew on the remote control). If a remote control or a cell phone is within his reach, then challenge accepted: he is going for it. He's brave and even leans over the side of the recliner to reach for it. I feel like I'm on a secret mission every time I need to change the channel.

When I look at my son and he smiles I know he loves me. When I make him laugh...when he reaches for me...when he puts his tiny fingers in my hair, squeezes, and pulls my face into his...I know he loves me. Bonding with my son has been an amazing journey and once he starts talking our bond will grow even more. My youngest daughter was around 10 months old when I came into the picture and my oldest daughter was 3 and a half, so my son is my first experience caring for a baby from one day old. It won't be too much longer until we watch him crawl, hear his first words, and start walking.

The bond we have is an emotional one built on eye contact and time spent together (holding him, feeding him, and play time). I sure don't want time to go any faster than it is, but I do look forward to the day when our "conversations" are a little less one-sided. I look forward to hearing the sound of his voice, how he will pronounce certain words, and all the questions he will have. I love when my daughters ask me questions about random things. I feel it is my responsibility to teach my kids everything I can. I try to answer all of their questions before resorting to the internet.
One of these days I already know my son will ask "Can you google it?" just like my daughters do now. 
There is so much to look forward to, but also so much to enjoy right now. I will cherish every moment I can because time does go too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment